Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to School!!


Tyler began 1st grade this week. We switched our curriculum this year to Abeka http://www.abeka.com/ for this school year after the really good deal I got last month. I've been debating this so much. There are so many choices out there for homeschooling. I really wanted the school year to have a good start. I want Tyler to really enjoy learning. Last year he enjoyed Saxon Math but I almost killed him with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, I thought it was wonderful and such a lifesavor but it was not his favorite part of our day.
So since we began on Tues we have had a happy house around here. When Megan saw that Tyler was doing his school work she grabbed her favorite school book and begged to do school work also. So while he was working on his quiet seatwork I got Megan set up with some of her work(and coloring) as well. This feels so great to see 2 kids that are enjoying there school days. This week Tyler covered and memorized the poem "The Elephant" and "Right Hand, Left hand" He heard these once and knew them with all the hand movements by the next day. I was pretty happy about this. We also sang My Country, Tis of Thee boy did this song bring back lots of memories from when I was in elem school. Tyler enjoyed the song more after I explained to him about some of what it ment. But every time we sang where my father's died he said that part was so sad. He is such a sweet little kid. We also covered all our basic stuff like phonics, writing, math, etc. But activity time of course is our favorite.
I am so thankful to have the opportunity to be able to homeschool these guys. I love getting to share in their excitement every time they learn something new. I am happy to be a direct part of this time in their lives. There's no way in the world I could ever ask for more!

No comments: