Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Our Curriculum this year

Well each year we try things and find that some things we like and some things we just do not.
About halfway though last year I made the final decision to hold Tyler back. And I say hold him back but really it's more so placing him were he should have always been. Having a birthday of Aug 18 makes him the youngest for his grade and it seems we would have had a much better beginning experience had I trusted my instincts from the start and not pushed him so hard. We are a lot happier now and I feel he's at the point of really begging ready to learn. I had many other reasons for this choice. I like that he we now graduate at 18 instead of 17. I called the school board and discussed my concerns with them and then I called my Association and told them what I wanted to do and everyone said that many parents hold there kids back and that it is a lot more common than I thought.
So this is how our year looks:

Tyler grade 2:
  • Easy Grammar 2 and half of 3
  • Reason for Writing C
  • Explode the Code
  • Beyond the Code
  • Sequential Spelling 1
  • Readers from the library and from various book lists such as Sonlight's catalog
  • Saxon Math 2nd half 2 and 1st half of 3
  • Five in A Row
  • Various Science kits that I ordered--beginning with the Magic Schoolbus ones
  • Co-op on Fridays

For Megan age 4 1/2

  • Explode the code books 1 and 2
  • Saxon Math K
  • Five in a Row
  • Co-op on Fridays
  • also she follows along with most of the other things we are doing such as Sequential Spelling ---to her it's a game and she has fun with it.

I am so happy to have finally found the curriculum that we like. There were days when I recall thinking that I would never find anything that was right for us.

No comments: